1. Post quality photos ONLY. Posting great photos is straightforward but can be challenging. The top Instagram accounts put their best face forward. This doesn’t mean that images need to be posed, overly polished or professionally done, but it does mean you should think before you hit post. When selecting which images to use, think about lighting, relevance to your audience, color scheme and how it will pair with your written content.
2. Consistency. This comes in two parts, first post on a regular schedule. It is recommended to post once a day or at least a few times a week. Consistency also refers to content.
3. Hashtags are like adding SEO labels to the back-end of web content. Hashtags help your content circulate and appear in other users search feeds. Instagram allows up to 30 hashtags and to maximize do some research about which ones are most searched and most relevant to your feed.
4. Engage. Be sure to follow accounts that not only interest you but are similar or complimentary to your Instagram account. You don’t need to devote tons of time to this, but when you are on Instagram go out of your way to like and comment on posts which creates visibility for your own feed (and others will be likely to return the favor). Likewise, when people comment on your photos be sure to respond especially when the comments are meaningful
5. Have fun and keep it real! At the end of the day Instagram is NOT real life for many, but it is a fun way to get inspired.